Monday 3 October 2011

Sapporo Ramen Alley 札幌ラーメン横丁

Occasion: Lunching with Self-Appointed Ramen King from Spain
When: Mid September during Kabi's visit to Sapporo
Venue: Ramen Alley (ラーメン横丁)URL: click HERE
Address: Sapporo- Shi, Chuo-ku, Minami 5 Nishi 3

Kabi flew by from Spain last month to spend about 2 weeks here and on his last afternoon in Sapporo, he invited us to check out Ramen Alley with him. I have stayed in Sapporo for more than a year now and yet I've not checked out this famous spot smacked right in the middle of the city until most recently. I know I know.. shame on me... but I am glad to announce here that I've finally popped the cherry!! Woot woot!!

Japan is famous for its ramen. Typically you can chooose your ramen soup base in a choice of miso (fermented soybeans), shio (salt) or shoyu (soy sauce). You can spot a ramen shop in each and every corner. There is even a signature ramen for each and every of its prefectures. However, I am more than delighted to tell you that Hokkaido carries one of the most famous ramen of all. Miso ramen was first introduced in Hokkaido and to date, it has settled to be one of the favorites in Japan and all around the world. Our miso ramen is definitely Out-of-this-world-mind-blowing-you-thought-you-died-and-gone-to-heaven kind of yummillicious... I kid you NOT!! 

Ramen Alley is famous to house some of the best ramen shops one can find in Japan. So head on over there and feel free to patron and let your palates go wild swimming in a very much rich and flavorful taste of ramen.  


Finally!! We're here!!

It literally is an alley that has a wide selection
of ramen shops on both its sides
We were spoilt with abundance of choices available there that we ended up scrutinizing each and every menu placed outside these shops and see which appeals to us the most. I have to admit it can be pretty tough affair since everything looks good there. Definitely not helping at all when we were all hungry at that point of time. LOL.

In deep discussion on which shop to enter...

This one IT IS!!

We finally decided on this shop which displayed some ramen-eating bears.. LOL.. So easy for me to remember this shop due to this bear poster. なまらうまいベアー think it's something something tasty bear... LOL.. my Japanese is so bad.... gosh.. someone please help me already...

Updated: OMG!!!! I finally found out what is なまらうまい!!! (namara umai)


Namara-umai actually means "Very Delicious" in the Hokkaido dialect!! LOL... 


We do indeed learn new things everyday.. hehehe.. am so happy I finally found out what does that phrase means.

The pictures on the menu was so good, it was practically YELLING my name to go in already... I love the variety of ramen offered by this shop. 

There's more than 5 types of ramen we can choose here
not including the soup base options yet.. What?!
Surprise surprise right!

Happy moi liking it very much (:

My mission of that day was to hunt down the famous Hokkaido Specialty Ramen, namely the BUTTER and CORN topping ramen!! I know!! I mean.. what the heck?!! But butter has always been one of my favorites on potatoes, as bread spread and etc etc. So it got me real curious how would it be in a bowl of miso soup?! Mind boggling, ain't it?!! LOL

Yay!! Found it and it's only for ¥1000!!
I was expecting to pay more actually...

The store interior design... 

I reckon it's the store name?! oopsie.. ごめんね。。。=__=|||


The ceiling of the shop is pasted with old school posters which
intrigued me... good stuff!
We had to wait awhile outside the store because there wasn't available seatings to fit us 3. It was relatively full with customers even though it was right after lunch peak hours. Nonetheless, we don't mind the little bit of waiting as we got in in less than 5 mins or so. 


Counter based seating.. no tables available in this store which made
it quite quaint that I like so much (: 


GYOZA!!  a must-have dish to compliment anything at all.. hehe
5 pcs for ¥250

Both the boys was attracted to the ダブルチャーシュラーメン (Double Char Siu Ramen) and went for it. It was indeed an excellent choice. It was so rich and tasty that I wanted to cry just by trying the soup alone. And check out the chunky fatty pork strips! (if you are into that kind of fatty fatty stuff la k)

A bowl of yummillicious.. (:
¥1000
As for me.... I got what I was looking for... I ordered the 北海道スペシャルラーメン Hokkaido Special Ramen!! *salivate* 

#ithoughtitdiedandgonetoheaven

Very generous with the ingredients:
Char siu, scallops, crab claw, butter, corn, onsen egg
bamboo shoot, nori, etc etc

Super hearts the store has its own specially
 designed nori.. LOL... (: 
Our orgasmic expressions over ramen.. LOL

The Self Titled Ramen King from Spain (:

Tah, the Food Walkepedia's turn
*got photobombed by Kabi...LOL*

And last but not least.. Moi's turn.. hehe
Good Stuff!!
My meal was so good that I finished every last drop of it. hehehe... 

Okayyyyyyy...... now is the time to feel ashamed and feel remorse over my action of pigging out in this very the fattening bowl of noodles.. I am so gonna be #foreverfat!!!!! *sob sob*

I freaking finished the whole bowl!!! WTH!
The last lunch session with Kabi was fun and definitely a great gastronomic experience. I enjoyed it so much that I'm drooling as I am writing this post. True story!

Anyway, head on there for some good ramen. Go try new stores and different types of ramen. I know I will definitely be going back there again. If I may add, it would be an excellent idea to go over when you get hungry after some late night outings in Susukino. Having hot fragrant bowl of soup in this cold weather these chilly nites can give you a nice warm feeling as close to a mother's hug.... ahem.. *clears throat* Me being drama much?! LOL... 

I'll end this post with a post of Kabi and I outside the ramen alley and you can see that Kabi was stuffed to the brim from his BIG bowl of Double Char Siu Ramen.. hehe


"Eating is really one of your indoor sports. You play three times a day, and it's well worth while to make the game as pleasant as possible."
 ~Dorothy Draper~



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. ^^ ..I've read your blog and i know that you are living in Sapporo now.
Your trip look fun and really happy!!
I'm Thai and I'm going to Japan nest few weeks...Bagging pack style. hahaha :)

I planned to go Sapporo too. so I guess I'd like to ask you if I go their on 19th will it able to see Kouyou? Red leaves. If you don't mind...please answer this. ^^"

Sorry for intterupting. and sorry about my bad English...hehehe

PINKPheng said...

Heylo... thanks for reading my blog and appreciate your continuous support (:

Hope you enjoy your stay in Japan and of course especially Sapporo (: As for your question about viewing koyo in this city, the leaves are starting to change their colors but it is still not at its best state yet. Hopefully by the time you come here, there should be more koyo for your viewing pleasure. If I remember my Autumn last year correctly, it was best during end of Oct to early Nov. All the best!! (:

Javi said...

Why did my name become Kabiiiiiiiii???? Why????????? I love ur blog!!! Until now it was ma-ma, but with this new entry the quality has definitely increased. I´m sure ur number of visitors will be increased....
Thank u for bringing me to Ramen alley!!!! Thank u ramen alley for giving me the chance of trying double chasu ramen!!!! It´s double!!!! And chasu!!!!! At the same time!!!!

PINKPheng said...

hahaha... u dun like the name Kabi?! special what.. no? hehe... anyway.. thanks for ur feedback and support. Tell everybody back home about the amazing Double Char Siu ramen okay!! Come back to Sapporo soon!! We definitely will go to Ramen Alley again.. (:

Anonymous said...

ohhh!! thank you for your answer and advice!! ^^

my trip will start this 19th...but i don't know where to go first.. *-* maybe from north to south.

thank you again!!! ^^

PINKPheng said...

No prob (: once u swing by Sapporo, drop by and say hi.. hope you'll enjoy your trip here... cheerios (:

Anonymous said...

hi, I'm malaysian too. will visit sapporo this mid Oct.

love your ginkyo ave @ hokkaido Uni. definitely will visit there and take nice photos.

will try the ramen shop too, can you provide me the exact name and location? how much did you pay for the special ramen?

about jozankei, other than joining local tour, or take their bus package, no other way we can visit ourselves with combination of Otaru?

thanks in advance.

PINKPheng said...

Hi there!!

Wish you could have told me ur name! Anyway, thanks for reading my blog and hope for your continuous support :)

The ramen alley address is at Minami 南 5 Nishi 西 3 located right at Susukino area. (Take note: there are 2 ramen alleys (front and back). Go to the one at the back street not facing the main road) There are many shops there that serve very good ramen but if u are asking in particular of this shop I went to, just look for the shop that has a black bear on its signage board. It's not a long alley, so i'm sure u can locate it easily. Cost of each bowls we ordered were ¥1000 (RM 40). Well those are the specialties. You can also find something cheaper for the usual soup.

As for Jozankei, one can easily just get there by bus or subway. But depending on which hotel you are going at. Some even provide shuttle bus services. For the canoeing trip, we went there by bus from Sapporo central bus station.

Hope the info above helps. Let me know if you need any other help. Lastly, I would like to welcome you to Sapporo. Hope you'll enjoy your time here :)

Cheers,
PP

Anonymous said...

hi PP,

I'm Cher. Thank you for your info and it helps. Will try the ramen since we will stay at Sapporo for 6 nights.

BEst regards,

Cher